Where were you when HH The Prince of Cambridge was born?
Seriously. I know it’s one of those things that I’ll be asked till the day I die. So I may as well make an effort to remember. Here’s what happened:
1) I didn’t really care.
2) I sort of cared.
3) I checked dailymail.co.uk
4) I saw that a live-feed camera outside the Lindo Wing existed.
5) I ignored it.
6) The kids started playing Subway Surfer on the iPad. I opened the laptop.
7) And then the live cam.
8) I got addicted to watching the hospital doors. Even though I knew William would not come out and announce the birth. I knew about the easel thing. But that didn’t make door-watching any less addictive.
9) DD joined me. We watched the doors. Every time they flapped in the breeze, we gasped.
10) I needed the loo. But I didn’t dare go in case everyone asked ‘Where were you when HH was born?’ and I had to say, ‘On the loo.’
11) I put the kids to bed.
12) I got back on dailymail.co.uk
13) Nothing happened.
14) I had a shower and read my book – ‘The Lightness Between Oceans’.
15) DH BBM’d me from Dubai. ‘It’s a boy.’ It was 11.30pm in Dubai.
16) I thought he was joking.
17) He was not joking.
18) I woke up DD to tell her. She said ‘Cool,’ and then snored.
19) We had monumental thunderstorms and I was up all night with petrified Dubai children. It reminded me of the freaky storms we had in March 2009 when DS was born and I watched lightning over the Burj Al Arab from Medcare.
20) Kate looked fab today. But I kind of felt sorry for her. Welcome, dear, to lack of sleep.com. You are in good company.