50 iconic objects of desire – Dubai-style
This month, Easy Living magazine, which is just about the only magazine I pay money for in Dubai as it’s a) relatively reasonably priced and b) always interesting published a feature on “50 iconic objects of desire”.
The list included such gems as Clinique’s Dramatically Different Moisturiser (complete waste of time if you ask me), Estée Lauder’s Advanced Night repair (meh – have they tried Rodial?), a Burberry trench coat (why bother when it never rains) and a Kitchen Aid classic food mixer (seriously?). Mind you, I did laugh at the Ikea Billy bookcase – I think we’ve all been there at some point in our lives.
So I thought I’d alter the list a little for Dubai. Here are my 10 iconic objects of desire – Dubai-style:
- · A pair of 1.5-carat diamond earrings, AA grade (to wear at morning drop-off)
- · A share in a race horse (at least a foreleg, if not more)
- · At least two flashy cars ( so you can say “oh, I brought the run-around” when driving the Porsche Panamera to the supermarket)
- · A smart beach-club membership (that you never use)
- · A staple wardrobe of shift dresses by Boden
- · “Modest” holiday homes in Thailand, Sri Lanka, the South of France, Italy, California and Mauritius
- · At least three members of domestic staff (suggest: Live-in helper, gardener, pool boy, but could include driver, cook and live-in hairdresser – why not?)
- · Infinity-edged swimming pool facing a world-class golf course
- · A Los Angeles cosmetic surgeon on speed-dial
- · At least two A-list celebrity friends about whom you can brag at barbecues
Subscribe to comments with RSS.