Mrs Dubai’s baked pasta dish
This dish evolved over time but is utterly more-ish. It may even be DH’s favourite thing that I cook.
I’ll add a picture next time I cook it.
Wholewheat pasta shapes (I use pipe rigate) to fill a large baking dish
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 packet of mushrooms, chopped
1 large red pepper, deseeded and sliced
3 bunches of fresh spinach, destalked and chopped
1 large pot of crème fraîche
Mozzarella cheese, grated (optional)
Salt and black pepper to taste
Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1. Preheat the oven to about 200C.
- 2. Put the pasta on to cook.
- 3. Lightly sauté the onions until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
- 4. Add the mushrooms and sauté till just before the juices start to run. Remove from heat.
- 5. Char-grill or sauté the red pepper. (I chuck mine on the George Foreman grill.)
- 6. Wilt the spinach in a saucepan using just the water that clings to it after washing. While it’s in a colander, chop it up with kitchen scissors and squeeze out any excess fluid.
- 7. Add the grilled red pepper and wilted spinach to the mushrooms, onions and garlic.
- 8. Stir in the crème fraîche. If you want it runnier and slightly lower in fat, thin it out with a bit of skimmed milk. If you want it richer and gooier, add in some grated mozzarella cheese.
- 9. Season with black pepper, salt if you like.
- 10. Drain the pasta, put it in the baking dish and mix with the vegetable sauce.
- 11. Top with a little grated Parmesan cheese and bake for about 20 minutes till bubbling and slightly browned.
Enjoy with a large glass of red wine.