What sort of Dubizzler are you?
I love Dubizzle. I absolutely love it. For those of you not in the UAE, it’s our local version of eBay.
It works really well here because we live in such a transient, expat society. People are always moving on and selling almost-new stuff so there are always loads of bargains to be had and there’s always a good audience of new arrivals looking for cheap buys.
For someone like me who has a clutter-phobia, it’s a dream come true. DH once even accused me of literally selling DS’s baby stuff out from under him. (“Eat quickly, darling, someone’s buying your high chair at six!”.)
The downside of Dubizzle, though, is the level of comprehension of some of the people you get on it. Over the years, I’ve met some numpties. Here are my favourite lines. Which one are you?
6) “I really want your Chanel sunglasses. But how badly do you want to sell them?” [Oh, get a life.]
5) “I like your BoConcept sofa (worth Dhs 30,000, selling for Dhs 2,000) but I’ve seen one almost the same in Home Centre for Dhs 1,500. So can I have it for Dhs 500?” [No, go and buy it in Home Centre.]
4) “I bought the princess costume from you just now, but it’s too big for my daughter. Can I exchange for a smaller one?” [Who do you think I am? Bloomingdales?]
3) “I’d like to buy your [whatever] for Dhs 30 but I live in Sharjah and I work. Can you drop it off at my house at 6pm on Thursday?” [A two-hour round trip for Dhs 30? You’ve got to be joking.]
2) “I really like your Bugaboo pram (worth Dhs 5,000, selling for Dhs 1,000) but my budget is Dhs 200. So when can I come and get it?” [Go and buy a pram for Dhs 200.]
And the winner:
1) “Would you be willing to sell your leopard-print stilettos to a man? And please can you just tell me, what underwear were you wearing when you wore them?” [Eew!]