Posts Tagged ‘first baby’
So Beyonce’s shocked to find that, having had a baby, she no longer has time to beautify herself. She now cuts her own hair and wears flat shoes (how long will that last, I wonder?).
But still, the fact that mothers no longer have time ad infinitum to spend on pampering and preening must have come as a terrible shock to her – as most things do when you have your first baby. Even more so if, like Beyonce (and I, although I don’t wish to compare my career to hers lest she look like a slacker), you’re used to calling the shots in a career before you have your first baby.
So, what shocked you when you first gave birth? Thinking back seven years, here’s what surprised me when I first gave birth to DD:
- How much breast-feeding hurt. I had no idea.
- How much indignity there is in giving birth – and how little I cared about the indignity.
- How much there is that mothers never tell non-mothers.
- The fact that I could no longer eat the in-flight meal – or even drink gin – on flights.
- How little sleep I could get by on.
- How sick babies can mess up the best-laid of plans.
- The fact that the world goes on, no matter how rubbish you feel.
- How much I could love another human being.
I’d love to hear yours.