Posts Tagged ‘expat women in Dubai’
The other day I was telling my handyman about a friend who’d hired him on my recommendation.
“She’s tall and slim,” I said. “Tanned. Blonde hair. Beautiful. Lives in the Ranches. You know, really fit, always wears skinny jeans and flats? Two kids?”
“Well no,” he said. “You’ve just described 99 per cent of my clients.”
He got me thinking: Is there a “Dubai expat” look? Are we women guilty of morphing into each other? Is there an unwritten list of things to which most women here aspire? Sometimes, when you look around the coffee shops and the supermarkets, it seems that way.
Here’s my Dubai housewife tick-chart, researched from a banquette somewhere in the depths of Costa’s and Carluccio’s. Every Dubai housewife, it seems, must have:
- Glossy hair (highlighted)
- A pair of over-sized designer sunglasses
- A nip-and-tuck doctor on speed-dial
- At least 10 designer bikinis
- A pair of one-carat diamond stud earrings
- Gelish nails on hands and feet
- A personal trainer
- Eyelash extensions
- At least one DVF wrap dress
- A finger or two of diamond knuckle-dusters, as big as DH can afford
- A super-large four-wheel-drive
- An expensive, posh or unusual hobby (tennis, polo, dragon-boat racing)
- Several designer handbags including but not limited to a slouchy leather tote with gold hardware for day, and a snakeskin clutch for evenings
- The number of a good “eyebrows girl”
- A golf / polo / beach club membership (Jebel Ali doesn’t count)
- A pair of high-heeled gold sandals
- And, finally, a little “mumtrepreneur” business (“you know, to keep my mind ticking over”), which she secretly wishes would win her the Ahlan magazine Business Woman of the Year Award.